Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Being myself


" By being yourself, you put something wonderful in the world that was not there before".          Edwin Elliott

" Bird in hand " by Suzanne Conner
            I am surprised at myself ...... I am prissy . I hate prissy , but here I am painting female figures , most wearing pearls ( even the mermaids) , in evening gowns and flowing dresses , lipstick...........my mom would be so proud ! I grew up in the 60's and 70's , where khaki was the uniform , hardly any makeup , ugly shoes , no pearls but silver and POW bracelets , puka shells .......WOW , ugly . I know Mama would just sigh when I would leave the house looking like a army/ navy surplus refugee . As I grew older though , I had friends who celebrated being feminine creatures who didn't leave the house without lipgloss ( Coty's Pot of Gloss to be exact ). Fragrance on every pulse point , and pearls. I loved it , and then began a love for being girly that evidently is still in force today. My northern friends still look at me like an oddity , but my southern sisters nod approvingly . Looking back on Mama and my dear Grandmother , I'm the apple that didn't fall far from the tree ! And my daughter is right behind me..........  Suz

1 comment:

  1. Hi Suzanne, I showed your post to Mamaw and she liked it.

    Uncle Jimbo

    ReplyDelete