Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Planting In Faith


                                                      My world has always been full of flowers. I grew up with some of the best gardeners I have ever known, my grandmother Mary who turns 94 this week, my mother of course who was the constant gardener, Aunt Sue to name just a few. I learned so much from them and now I take great pleasure in my daughter Lindsey following in the same footsteps. After supper she'll ask to walk around the yard and we will talk plants, what they are, where they came from, things like that. The snowdrops planted by the back door are our February flowers, and they came from our family home in North Carolina where my grandmother took some bulbs and we all have taken from to plant in our own yards. The hydrangeas are from Mama planting them when we were growing up here and always reminded me of home. I have a mint bed that supplements our iced tea and mojitos if the occasion arises, and it does regularly! Most recently after taking care of Mama's yard for these past four years, before the house sold I made several trips to transplant things from her yard that she loved, therefore I loved. Shrimp plants, amaryllis she had grown from bulbs, iris, holly fern, society garlic.... all the plants I could have gotten locally , but the fact that she had planted them in love and faith made these .... priceless! So this is the legacy I leave Lindsey Lu, and I bet it will be the one she treasures the most. Go do some planting! Suz
"Flower Girls" by Suzanne Conner

2 comments:

  1. Anyone who talks about your grandmother mentions her beautiful yard and gardens. She brightened up the whole town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jim, she continues to brighten my world with her smile and her great stories..... she still remembers so much! I appreciate you reading.

      Delete